Minecraft is the best game ever known to the shack.
If you want to play single or multiplayer Survival mode (the only really fun game mode) then you will need to pay for the game. The game is in alpha and is only 10 euros so don't be a cheapskate, you big asshole. You paid more than that to see Avatar at the cinema, remember?
If you want to make a Minecraft Thread on Shack, get up early and use this template.
Beginner’s Guide to Minecraft
Links, Tutorials and Walkthroughs
- START HERE! Great first night tutorial
- Guide to alpha
- How to survive your first night (Video)
- Things I Wish I’d Known, a retrospective by Ebu
- Sync Minecraft saves across computers (Mac or PC)
- More playthrough videos from this guy's YouTube channel.
- How to make large pools of water the fast way, by Arctic Fox
Shacknews Multiplayer Servers
- Iago aka A Whole New World (PvE/Mobs On) can be accessed at iago.sytes.net. Run by Foo.
- Foo1 (PvP/Mobs On) can be accessed at foo1.sytes.net. Originally run by Foo. Currently curated by EricZBA
- MercFox1(PvE/Mobs Off) can be accessed at nerfblox1.sytes.net. Originally run by MercFox1. Currently curated by EricZBA.
- Shadowdane (PvE) can be accessed at shadowdane.shacknet.nu. Run by Shadowdane.
- m0rfus (Full unrestricted PVP) can be accessed at morfus.dyndns.org. Run by m0rfus.
- devcraft (pvp, mobs on) - running bukkit and essentials (if updated) - mc.empx.net - run by devnullgt
- Chicken Fur's server can be accessed at 22.214.171.124. ***Cannot connect as of 5-24-2011***
- Note: For servers using domains instead of IP addresses, it is recommended that you manually type in the domain to the multiplayer window as Minecraft has spacing issues with copy/paste.
Multiplayer Server Renders
- Staple Structures Every Town Should Have
- A bakery. Masterfully done, hero!
- Fort Zero. Freaking huge castle built by some OCD-suffering maniac. Lava moat, mob-killing factory, greenhouse...
- InvEdit - Lets you cheat/hack items into your saved games, great for testing or building something without the grind of mining (which is the best part of minecraft, so only use this if you're lame)
- MCEdit - Build Maps!
- Minecraft Tools - Tables the efficiency of different materials
- MineEdit - All-in-one editor.
- Rotation Logic for Stairs, Explained by Arcanum!
- Ores, and How to Find Them, by Fooldozer and CodeRedBeard!
- Map your single-player levels with Cartograph!
- A list of many useful thrird party applications can be found here.
- Latest Persister Download - Allows you to keep items after disconnecting and reconnecting to a server.
Texture Installation Guides
Mac / OSX
Simply place the new texture files and UI modification subdirs at same level as your Minecraft.app file.
No need to mess with the .jar file to change the textures.
(src: minecraftforum.net post)
Sample picture: Minecraft Textures in OSX
(Note: in that picture, the "Zelda Textures" folder is not being used, since it is at the wrong directory level. I was just keeping it readily available to switch to.)
--YAak 20:03, 29 August 2010 (UTC)
- Painterly Texture Pack
- Doku's RPG Texture Pack
- The Legend of Zelda Overhaul
- Switching out Textures on Mac OSX (example)
- A good amount of Texture Packs in one place.
- SkinEdit - Make your own skins super easy with templates pre-installed!
- Custom Minecraft Skins site
- Multiplayer Forums - Great for finding the latest Admin, Mods, and Server GUIs.
- MCAdmin - Great server wrapper with a slick GUI.
- Hey0's Mod - Server mod that enables many features such as /sethome to set your spawn location.
- Llamacraft - Makes furnaces and buckets work, also prevents griefing.
- F11 - True full screen! No more hitting the maximize button for you!
- F6 (hold) - CPU/ memory usage bar! Spikes for CPU/ red box for memory, I think!
- F5 - third person mode!
Reference: Dong Patrol